Worst Fear Confronted

Posted: August 18, 2010 in Uncategorized

Which in my case was finishing a process I started 10 years ago; namely, getting all my teeth extracted and having a full set of dentures made. Since 1998 I’ve had an upper partial and that worked well for a number of years until my lower teeth started coming out, breaking off at the gum line or otherwise got fucked up. I admit the years of drinking and drug use didn’t help, but over the past 3-4 years I’ve been developing abcessed teeth every few months.

With a new dental college just being built not far from me, my Mother took the plunge and offered to pay for me to get them done. After several false starts due to expenses, we were finally get a price point that she could afford, and that I could pay back at a reasonable rate.

For the past few weeks I’ve been going in to get molds made, measurements taken, tooth color chosen, all in preperation for having the teeth I had left, including my wisdom teeth taken out. As some who follow me on twitter know I was having panic attacks about the whole thing. My biggest fear, waking up while they were working on me did come true, but I’m getting ahead of myself.

At 9 AM prompt, on August the 17th, I was escorted my Megan and Andrea to the oral surgery section of the college, where I was met by the oral surgeon in training Dr. Greg. His mentor, instructor Dr. Robertson was there as well. I was seated in a typical dentist chair, in a fairly empty room, and my mind tripped back to The Marathon Man, and Laurence Olivier doing some elective dentistry to Dustin Hoffman. I was given some oxygen, then nitrous oxide and was told that the whole thing wouldn’t last more than 2 hours. With the IV in, I was off to dreamland and ready to wake up all bloody and bandaged.

Well I woke up bloody, but its because they hadn’t finished. It was closing in on four hours when I started coming out of it, and were it not for the fact I was so doped up from the general plus the nitrous oxide I would have freaked. I didn’t though, when I felt something I let them know and before I knew it, I was done and had my dentures in. With a handful of penicillin and oxycodone, I made it through one of things I dreaded the most in my life.

Here’s the end product: http://yfrog.com/j3ibwyj


Comments are closed.